Makes 12 - 15 cupcakes
175g plain flour
½ tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
¼ tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
¼ tsp salt
2 medium eggs
175g caster sugar
100ml vegetable oil
1 tsp Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
125ml soured cream
Dr. Oetker Fun Baking Cases
For the Icing
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) icing sugar
2-3 drops of Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
5-6 drops Dr. Oetker Green Food Colouring
milk or warm water
150g dessicated coconut
Small amount white Regal-Ice Icing (about 50g)
Dr. Oetker Writing Icing
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted) Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tray with red Fun Baking Cases.
2. Sieve the flour, add the Baking Powder, Bicarbonate of Soda and salt, set aside.
3. Using an electric hand whisk beat together the eggs and the sugar until they are pale yellow and thick. Gradually add the vegetable oil , Natural Vanilla Extract and soured cream, whisking all the time on a low speed.
4. Finally add the flour and other dry ingredients, and continue whisking until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter between the baking cases , filling each half full.
5. Bake for around 15 minutes in centre of oven until they are golden and a small skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly in tins , then remove from tins and cool completely before decorating .
6. To make the butter icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar. Mix in Natural Vanilla Extract and Green Food Colouring and a few drops of milk / water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable and place onto the cakes.
7. Place coconut in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid, add a few drops of green food colouring, place lid on securely, shake until all colour is dispersed through the coconut. Check colour of ‘coconut grass’ add more food colour if required, and repeat process.
8. Spread green buttercream on each cake, and then holding the cakes on either side of the paper case dip the buttercream covered tops into the coconut, ensuring it is all covered and gently shake off any excess. Allow to set for 5-10 minutes
9. While it is setting, make the footballs by rolling small balls of Dr. Oetker Icing and then add dots using black Writing Icing to create the appearance of a black and white ball.
10. Draw a white line through the centre of the cakes with white Writing Icing, add a circle in the centre. Gently place the footballs in the middle.