15 cupcake cases
65g (2 ½oz) cocoa powder + extra to dust
115g (4oz) butter, softened
300g (10oz) caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
165g (5 ½oz) plain flour
15ml (1tbsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
150g (5oz) Dr. Oetker Continental Plain Chocolate, broken into pieces
150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
300g (10oz) icing sugar
Dr.oetker white Christmas Decorations
Dr Oetker Giant Chocolate Stars
Dr. Oetker Soft Silver Pearls
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven, 350°F, gas 4). Line 15 cup cake tins with the cupcake cases. Sift the cocoa into a bowl and gradually whisk in 225ml (8fl.oz) cold water. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until well blended.
3. Whisk in the eggs, then sift the flour and baking powder on top. Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the flour into the cake batter along with the liquid cocoa mixture.
4. Spoon into the cake cases to two thirds fill them and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for about 25 minutes until risen to the top of the cases and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. To decorate, put the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl and put over a saucepan of barely simmering water to melt. Remove from the water and cool for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, place the butter in another bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar to make a smooth, creamy icing, then fold in the plain chocolate
7. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm (½inch) star nozzle and pipe a generous peaked swirl on top of each cake. Decorate with snowflakes, stars and silver pearls before serving.
Note: this chocolate icing will become firm if put in a cool place.