Like carrot cake? This is even better! With creamy frosting and cute decs, it’s a real show stopper.
300ml corn oil
4 medium eggs
250g lift soft brown sugar
2 tbsp Dr. Oetker Select Vanilla Extract
150g sultanas, chopped
100g walnuts, chopped
1 pumpkin (500g peeled weight), coarsely grated
Zest and juice of ½ orange (2 tbsp juice)
Zest of 1 lemon
400g plain flour
1½ tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
1½ tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
2 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the icing:
600g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest of ½ orange
For the pumpkins:
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Red Food Colour
250g Dr. Oetker Golden Marzipan#
1. Heat the oven to Mark4/180°C. Grease and line two 20cm loose-based cake tins. In a bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
2. Fold in the sultanas, walnuts, pumpkin, orange juice and zests. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and spices, and mix to combine.
3. Divide between the tins, bake for 40-45 mins, or until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for a few mins, then turn out onto wire racks until completely cool.
4. For the icing, whisk together the cream cheese, icing sugar, lemon zest and juices until light and thick. Use half to sandwich the cakes together, and spread the remainder on top.
5. For the pumpkins mix 2-3 drops of red food colouring into the marzipan (wear gloves) and make into 12 balls. Use the back of a knife to make indents; add cloves for stalks and eyes.