Crystallised flowers make these cupcakes as pretty as a picture
Makes 12 cupcakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
75g (3oz) self-raising flour, sieved
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Lemon Extract
Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
For the crystallised flowers you will need
Small spring flours such as primroses or violets
Dr. Oetker Egg White Powder or 1 lightly beaten egg white
For the icing you will need
Dr. Oetker EasyIce Royal Icing or icing sugar
Dr. Oetker food colouring (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the lemon extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a spoon.
3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. Wash and dry the flowers and coat well on both sides with egg white. Dust caster sugar onto the flowers until evenly coated and leave to set completely.
6. Ice the cupcakes with EasyIce Royal Icing. Add food colouring drop by drop to create pastel shades. Alternatively, mix icing sugar with a few drops of water to create glace icing.
7. Decorate with flowers and tie pastel coloured ribbon around the cupcakes to finish.