Makes 12 cupcakes
40g softened unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
1 small egg
3 teasp. Dr Oetker Red Food Colour
¼ teasp. Dr Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
½ teasp. Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
1 ½ teasp. red wine vinegar
75g self raising flour
¼ teasp. salt
15g cocoa powder
Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases
Red Chocolate Butter icing:
110g softened unsalted butter
175g icing sugar
2 tsp Dr Oetker Red Food Colouring
Dr Oetker Silver Balls to decorate
1. Pre heat the oven to 180°C (350F/Gas 4). Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, red colour, vanilla extract and the buttermilk, mix well.
3. Combine the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Finally sift flour, cocoa and salt together and add to the mixture.
4. Divide the mixture into the 12 cases ( a gently rounded dessertspoonful each) and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and spring back when gently pressed.
5. Allow the cakes to cool in the tin for 10 minutes (to retain their shape) before transferring to a cooling rack.
6. To make the topping beat the butter and icing sugar together with the food colour to form a smooth glossy topping.
7. When the cakes are completely cold, take a piping bag with a large rosette nozzle and fill with red icing. Starting at the outer edge of the cake pipe a rosette in towards the centre and finish with a peak. Finally Decorate with Silver Balls.