225g (8oz) cooking apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped
110g (4oz) sultanas
150ml (1/4 pint) milk
175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
350g (12oz) plain flour
4 tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
2 tsp ground mixed spice
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
175g (6oz) butter – melted
2 medium size eggs
50g (2oz) demerara sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) deep tin.
3. Mix together the apples and raisins then pour over the milk and set to one side.
4. Place the soft brown sugar, flour, Baking Powder, spice and lemon rind in a bowl.
5. Gradually beat in the butter and egg.
6. Finally beat in the apple and raisin mixture.
7. Spoon mixture into the tin, sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top and bake for approximately 1 hour 10 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
8. Cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.